CAROL DE MARE Staff writer
Section: CAPITAL REGION,  Page: B3

Date: Wednesday, October 13, 1993

A city man who allegedly went on a crime spree in August was charged Tuesday in several incidents, including shoving a female robbery victim out of her wheelchair.

Steven McCray, 29, of 312 Quail St. is being held at the county jail and faces numerous other counts in addition to those contained in a seven-count indictment returned by a grand jury on Tuesday, Assistant District Attorney Renee Z. Farnham said. The wheelchair allegations stem from an Aug. 6 incident at a home on Hudson Avenue where McCray and a friend had been visiting. The friend is a cousin of the 60-year-old female resident, Farnham said.

McCray returned to the home later when the woman was alone, and she let him in, Farnham said. He tried to grab a pouch attached to her wheelchair where she kept money and other valuables, and there was a struggle, Farnham said.

The woman ended up being pulled out of the chair by McCray, the prosecutor said. He made off with $100 in cash and rings, she said.

On Aug. 8, McCray allegedly used an acetylene torch to blast open a steel safe in an office at the Capital District Psychiatric Center. The torch had been stolen that morning from Albany Medical Center Hospital, Farnham said. The safe contained only medical records, she said.

On Aug. 15, McCray broke into a third-floor apartment on Madison Avenue after the resident of the apartment confronted McCray as he climbed the stairs and told him to leave the building, Farnham said.

McCray crashed through the apartment door, which had been bolted, and then ripped the back pocket of a man there to steal the man's wallet, Farnham said. McCray also stole a watch and about $2 from the kitchen table after fracturing the victim's jaw and injuring his lip, Farnham said.

The final episode in which McCray is charged came on Aug. 16 at a laundromat at 57 Dove St. where a woman gave him some quarters. He then wanted more money and she refused, Farnham said, so he forced a ring off her finger and took off, the prosecutor said.

McCray was wearing a Mike Tyson T-shirt that had the words "I'll be back" on the back, Farnham said. Officer Kathleen Sheridan spotted him on State Street near the entrance to the park and radioed for help, then gave chase.

Other officers joined in the chase and McCray was subdued on Lexington Avenue, Farnham said. In his hand he had the stolen ring, she said.

Arraignment is scheduled for Friday for McCray on three counts of second-degree robbery, first-degree burglary, fifth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, second-degree burglary and second-degree criminal mischief.

In other indictments:

Corey Willis, 22, of 76 McGuire Ave. was charged with second-degree manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and two counts of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

It is alleged that on Aug. 10 he caused the death of David Hemingway, 22, at the victim's apartment at 58 Ida Yarbrough Homes by shooting him in the chest with a .38-caliber revolver. Willis told authorities that Hemingway was handing him a gun when it accidentally discharged.

Harold Cowan, 20, of 282 First St. was indicted on charges of attempted second-degree murder, two counts of first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree assault and two counts of first-degree robbery.

It is alleged that on July 12 on Thornton Street, Cowan struck another person on the head with a bottle, causing brain injury and extended hospital treatment. Cowan also is accused of stealing money and a watch from the victim.